UK Drag Race Rules
UK Micromouse Drag Race Rules: April 2009
The Drag Race
The aim of this class is for the mouse to travel as fast as possible over a straight course rather like that used for full-size drag racing, then to come to a standstill before reaching the end wall. Two mice will race against each other in a knockout competition where the first mouse across the line (allowing for time penalties) in the final will be classed as the winner. The timed run begins when the starting light changes to GREEN and finishes when the mouse crosses the finishing line. Both mice will be timed independently.
- All the general micromouse rules apply.
- Mice must actively follow the straight white line down the centre of the course.
- Mice will incur a time penalty of 5 seconds for:
- hitting the end wall.
- requiring manual intervention to continue (touch penalty)
- Mice will be disqualified for:
- ‘jumping’ the start
- falling off the edge of the course.
- touching the safety barriers (if fitted) at the edge of the course.
- interfering with the mouse in the other lane in any way.
- Track details
- Overall, each lane on the track is 7.2 metres long by 0.4 metres wide. The lane surface will be painted matt black. A 50 mm wide white tape is laid up in the middle of the lane. The start box occupies the first 375mm of the track with the start line being defined by 50 mm wide strips of white tape. The track will be laid as flat as possible, but mice should be able to cope with a step of up to 3 mm across the track where the boards are joined, and be able to cope with white lines of up to 3 layers of masking tape.
- A start beam will detect jump-starts. The start beam will be aligned with the far edge of the start line.
- The finish line is defined by 50 mm wide strips of white tape. The finish line timing beam will be aligned with the near edge of this line.
- The braking area comprises the final 1.2 m of the track. A block of polystyrene foam will be placed at the end of the braking area. If the foam is displaced by a braking mouse, the 5 second penalty will apply. A catch net will be provided behind the polystyrene to arrest out-of-control mice, but some mouse damage may occur.
- A 300 mm high gantry will straddle the track at the finish line.
- Start, centre and finish lines are all 3 layers of 50 mm white masking tape.
- The start and finish lines extend 100 mm in from the sides of the course. There is a 75 mm gap between the centre line and the start and finish lines.
- At the organiser’s discretion, a safety barrier up to 20mm above the track surface may be fitted to the sides of each track.
- The surface is 12 mm MDF painted with blackboard paint.
- The general tolerance is ± 5% or 3 mm whichever is greater.